Landlord Insurance Products 

Designed by specialists to ensure you have the correct level of cover without the unnecessary costs.

Why Choose Carbon?

Insurance is only worth having if it covers a claim when it happens.

This may appear self-evident but with the variety of options available on insurance policies, your level of cover, and what is actually included can vary significantly. As can the quality of service you receive should you need to make a claim.

At Carbon we have access to quality markets, so you can select the right policy and level of cover to give you peace of mind that your property is protected.

Our team of specialists have decades of experience and are on hand to highlight any areas where you may have left yourself exposed. Plus, should the worst happen, we’ll make sure your experience is smooth, swift and as simple as possible.

We also offer a 5% discount to our Landlord Clients should you wish to bring your own Home Insurance Policy to us, for example a Home Insurance premium of £400.00 would be £380.00.

Risks We Can Cover

Residential landlords with properties that are occupied or unoccupied

Landlord’s contents

Tenants’ contents

Residential landlords with properties that are unoccupied and undergoing works

Non-standard and prestige homes 

Property developers

Occupied commercial lettings

Unoccupied buildings (we can include cover for Employers Liability, Public Liability)

Unoccupied flat blocks

Self-build properties during construction

Additionally, you can add the following products to create a comprehensive package:

• Landlord Legal Expenses (up to £100K per claim with an annual limit of £1M)

• Landlord’s Rent Guarantee

• Landlord’s Home Emergency Cover

• Excess Waiver Cover

Buildings & Contents

We offer A rated cover for building and contents insurance, whether it is commercial or residential, occupied or unoccupied.

We can also offer portfolio insurance for clients with multiple properties - reducing your paperwork and giving you access to discounts.

Landlord Legal Expenses  

If your property is mortgaged or you’re relying on your rental income, having cover is vitally important, particularly at a time when commercial risk and legislative oversight are growing.

Our flexible options for policies covering 'A rated' Landlords Legal Expenses start from just £35 or £150 for rent protection facility.

What’s more, you can purchase this policy alongside our market leading property insurance package giving you the security that your assets are protected.

An 'A rated' insurance company is deemed to be on a strong financial footing. 'A rated' insurers are more likely to honor your claim and deliver a better experience than a lower rated company.

Landlord RentGuarantee & Recovery 

Our Silver, Gold and Platinum cover include Rent Guarantee and Rent Recovery.

Rent Guarantee will pay you the rent you would have earned should the tenant not pay you up to £2500 a month.

Rent Recovery covers the legal cost of taking a tenant through the court system for unpaid rent.

Levels of cover





£35 per annum

£150 per annum

£190 per annum

£225 per annum





• Eviction & Repossession

• Property Damage

• Nuisance

• Property Disputes

• Contract Health & Safety

• Tax Investigations

Everything in our Standard cover PLUS...

• Rent Guarantee (subject to £250 excess)

• Rent Recovery (subject to £500 excess)

Everything in our Silver level cover but with no excess

Everything in Gold level cover PLUS...

• Vacant possession cover

Please note:

Rent recovery cover is for a monthly rent amount up to £2,500 per month. Rent recovery action is limited to an aggregate of £25,000 per year. Vacant possession cover is 60% of monthly rent obtained up to £2,500 per month for a maximum period of 3 months, or until the property is re-let. (This cover applies when the Landlord has recovered possession but is unable to immediately re-let the property). The limit the insurer will pay is £100K per legal expense claim or an aggregate of £1M cover over a year.

Landlord Home Emergency Cover

We understand that as a landlord, your tenants may contact you at any time of day to report an emergency.

Our 24 hour, 365 day a year Home Emergency Cover provides you with cover up to £600 per call out for a wide range of scenarios and includes emergency overnight accommodation up to £100.

We will provide you with a Tenant Emergency Pack so their first point of call is to one our experienced Claims Handlers.

Our Landlord Home Emergency is £73.92 inc IPT (Insurance Premium Tax) and is underwritten by AXA Assistance. If you take a Landlord’s Buildings and/or Contents Policy with us you will be eligible for a discount, reducing the cost to £39.99 inc IPT.

Landlord Excess Waiver

Should you wish to protect your excess, we can offer a separate Excess Waiver Policy.

This means that you will be reimbursed any cost of excess in the event of an incident, where the excess cannot be claimed back from a third party.

As an example, a £500.00 Excess Waiver would be £37.17 inc IPT.

Frequently Asked Questions


When will the insurer back my claim?

Our insurers will assess the claim upon first notification from you. If the claim falls within the cover definitions and all material facts have been disclosed, then the claims advisor will proactively arrange the next steps and work with you to resolve your claim as quickly and easily as possible.

Do claims have to be reported within a certain time frame?

The claim must be notified to the insurer within 45 days of the incident..

In addition, no claim can be brought within 90 days of the inception of the first period of insurance unless insurance of a comparable type was in force just prior to the inception of the policy.

Are there other restrictions in terms of the cover?

  • There must be a policy of insurance in place for the building.
  • For rent arrears there must be at least a month in arrears before action will be backed. Disputes over service charge or contract cover must be for sums over £1,000.
  • Rent guarantee provisions will only cover up to £2,500 per month or an aggregate of £25,000 in one year.
  • Vacant possession cover is for 60% of the monthly rent obtained up to 3 calendar months or until re-let, whichever is sooner.
  • Attendance allowance is limited to £100 per day or £1,000 in total.

Do I have any other obligations?

You must answer truthfully and give a full and accurate account when taking out the policy, or when making a claim. Failure to do so may invalidate the claim. You must have a residential tenancy agreement and a satisfactory reference for each tenant. This should include satisfactory credit history, with no CCJs or bankruptcies. You must have also obtained a reference from their employer and previous landlord.

Landlord Home Emergency

Does this policy allow my tenants to start a claim?

Yes. Your Tenant Emergency Pack will provide all the necessary details to allow them to start a claim under your emergency cover.

Does this policy cover maintenance issues?

No. This policy is for a wide range of emergencies at the property and includes boilers, central heating, plumbing and electrical failure, as well as cover for locks, windows and pest control. However, it will not cover maintenance related issues or non emergencies such as broken fridges, cookers, lights etc.

Are there other restrictions in terms of the cover?

  • Boilers over 15 years old. Any boilers must also have been inspected in last 12 months. The policy does not cover LPG fuelled, oil fired, solid fuel fired, warm air, solar and un-vented hot water systems, or boilers with an output over 60 Kw/hr.
  • Breakdown, loss of, or damage to, domestic appliances (including showers), Sani-flow toilets and other mechanical equipment, septic tanks, swimming pools and flushing mechanisms on toilets.
  • Pest cover is limited to main home not outbuildings.
  • Cover does not include work arising from hard water scale deposits.

Looking for more information?

If you would like to purchase our cover or require more information, please enquiry below.

Our Services

Looking for other insurance? We offer a variety of different products to fit your needs.


Non-Standard Home

0333 043 1300

Carbon Insurance is a trading name of Lawshield UK Ltd. Registered in England & Wales. Registered No: 3360532

Lawshield UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA register number: 306793. Address: 850 Ibis Court, Lakeside Drive, Centre Park, Warrington, Cheshire, WA1 1RL

© Copyright 2022 Lawshield UK Ltd. All rights reserved.