Skip to main content

There are a lot more grade 2 listed buildings in England than you may think. If you’re wanting to buy a listed building, there are a few more things to consider than a standard home.  

Below we delve into some of the key things you should know when buying a grade 2 listed building. 

What are the types of listed buildings? 

First, you’ll want to establish whether the property you’re after is a listed building. Usually, if you’re searching on websites such as Rightmove, it will tell you in the property description. If you want to find out whether a property is listed, you can search the list produced by Historic England. 

Grade 1 Listed Building: 

These buildings are classes as being of ‘exceptional interest’. There are very few buildings which are grade 1 listed. These include buildings such as Buckingham Palace, the Liver Building, and the Royal Albert Hall. 

Grade 2 & 2* Listed Buildings: 

These buildings are classed as being ‘particularly important’. Similar to grade 1 listed buildings, there are a few grade 2* listed buildings, although they are slightly more common than grade 1. These include Battersea Power Station, Cleveland Bridge, and Manchester Central Railway Station. Grade 2 listed buildings are of ‘special architectural or historical interest’. This is what most listed buildings are classed as. Grade 2 listed buildings can be monuments, but more commonly they are houses which people live in. 


What are you using the listed building for?  

Listed buildings tend to be beautiful treasures, and when they are properties up for sale, they are often sought after. Structurally they need to be mostly left as they are, so if you’re after a renovation project, a listed building is not for you.  

There are very limited alterations you can do to a listed property, so make sure you don’t jump into doing anything before thoroughly checking if you’re allowed to first. 

If you’re buying the house to live in for the originality and character, then it’s very exciting as you’ll be living in a special piece of history.  


What restrictions are there with planning and building? 

Similar to regular buildings, you’ll need to apply for planning permission from the council if you wish to make changes to a grade 2 listed building. This includes if you are making any alterations to the home, as well as extensions and demolitions. 

Due to it being a building of historic interest, there are many things which are protected in your house which you cannot change. For example, the traditional staircases and floorboards will be protected, as well as any decorative features. 

There are so many different things which may be protected at your property, even down to the plants on the land. It’s really important to make sure you’re checking what you can and can’t do specifically, before making any changes. 

If you already know what you would like to do to the house, make sure to enquire if this is possible before you put an offer in. 


Listed buildings tend to need a lot of maintenance 

Unfortunately, when you build a grade 2 listed building, it’ll more than likely need a lot of love and care. This includes regular maintenance of both the inside and the outside of the property. 

Due to the age of these properties, you’ll probably experience a damp problem at some point. 

For general maintenance you won’t need permission to repair things at your property, as long as you’re using the same materials as what was originally there. 

We know that with the cost of living crisis you might be enticed to change the windows for double glazing, however you’ll probably not be able to do this.  

By changing the windows in anyway, even if it’s just the pane of glass, can be seen as altering the character of the property. Again, this is why it’s so important to check what you are and aren’t allowed to do. 


What home insurance will I need? 

The most common house insurance is standard home insurance. This is what most people opt for when they purchase a house. They tend to ensure their policy covers both the building and their contents, just so they have peace of mind should anything happen.  

The other options for home cover tend to be specialist home insurance, and specialist non-standard home insurance. At Carbon Insurance Brokers specialist home insurance includes all-risks cover for both buildings and contents, contents cover worldwide, lost keys and damaged locks, and more. 

Specialist non-standard home insurance at Carbon Insurance Brokers covers properties such as holiday homes, rental properties, thatched roof properties, and more. 

Due to their nature, listed buildings will need Specialist Non-Standard Home Insurance. This is because you need to take into consideration how much they would cost to rebuild using original materials. For household insurance one of the best things you can do is make sure that you get a surveyors report into the true rebuilding sums insured of the building. This will take into account its special features and/or materials. 


Need help with your grade 2 listed building insurance? 

Here at Carbon Insurance Brokers our experts are on hand to ensure that you have the right cover for your needs. With over 25 years of industry experience, we understand the importance of your home insurance and the peace of mind it gives you. 

Speak to our team today for more information about your home insurance and what it entails. 

Leave a Reply