Skip to main content

Here at Carbon Insurance Brokers unoccupied house insurance falls under Specialist Non-Standard Home Insurance. This type of home insurance is essential for when there is nobody living in your property. 

What is classed as an unoccupied property? 

An unoccupied property is when there are no residents living in a property. It doesn’t matter if it’s furnished or unfurnished, it’s classed as unoccupied. 

Even if you’re renovating your home, but you’re not living there, it’s still an unoccupied home. 

Why are properties left unoccupied? 

A lot of the time properties aren’t left unoccupied for long periods of time.  

Your property may be unoccupied for many reasons. For example, you could be a landlord waiting to find someone to take on a tenancy. You could also be having work done on your property which means you are unable to currently live in it. 

Another reason why a property might be unoccupied is if the owner has passed away, and family are figuring out what is best to do next.  

Why should I have specialist non-standard home insurance for my unoccupied property? 

Specialist non-standard home insurance covers you for more specific situations. Typically, due to the nature of an unoccupied home, the risks are higher. 

Usually, other home insurance policies will only cover you for fire, lightning, explosion and earthquakes if your property is unoccupied for more than 30 days. With specialist non-standard home insurance, you’re covered for all of that as well as: 

  • Theft & Attempted theft 
  • Impact 
  • Escape of water & Floods 
  • Subsidence 

What to do with an unoccupied property 

As a standard, you’ll still have to pay council tax on your unoccupied property. Some councils may choose to give you a discount, but this is entirely up to them.  

If your property is a rental, and it’s unoccupied whilst you wait for you new tenants to move in, you’ll want to make sure it’s ready to go when they move in. During the winter you’ll want to protect your house from the cold weather.  

You can do this by keeping your heating on. It doesn’t have to be hot; it can be around 12 degrees. Not only will this help prevent your house from growing mould, but it will also help stop the pipes from freezing. 

If your property is empty for a longer period, you’ll want to either turn off or disconnect the utilities. This means that you have a lower risk of potential flooding, or a gas leak.  

Securing your unoccupied property 

  • Regularly check that your security alarms and CCTV is working 
  • Double check all windows and doors are locked when leaving the premises and that any keys are removed 
  • Remove any valuable items from your property 
  • Make sure the fire alarm is connected and working 
  • Turn off all electrical equipment to help avoid a fire 

Your property will most likely look empty, which means that it will be more of a target to criminals. Due to this you need to be regularly checking your property, removing post and keeping the gardens tidy.  

If your property is going to be unoccupied, let your home insurance provider know 

Whether your property is a rental, or it’s undergoing renovations, it’s important to let your insurance company know that it’s going to be unoccupied. This allows them to understand the risks, and then in the event something happens, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered. 

Where do I get specialist non-standard home insurance? 

Here at Carbon Insurance Brokers, we’re here for your unoccupied house insurance needs. With over 30 years of experience, you can count on us to find a specialist non-standard home insurance policy which best fits you and your needs. 

Need some help? Contact us today to speak to a member of our team! 


Leave a Reply